So they said to Jesus in reply, “We do not know.” Then Jesus said to them, “Neither shall I tell you by what authority I do these things.” (Mark 11:33)
Observation: I chose the first verse as a way of saying thank you to Kevin, Jeff and Dev for the discussion that we had yesterday about this gospel reading for today. Specifically, I believe it was Kevin who brought up the fact that the chief priests and the scribes questioned him about his authority. I think it was Dev who mentioned that these priests and scribes had to know who he was in their heart, but they would just not admit it openly. We all discussed how they must have had immense pressure on them to keep him quiet because he was threatening their livelihood. Finally, I think I said that we do the same thing when we choose not to follow Jesus for whatever worldly reason, we choose to not follow him because we don’t want to give up what we have built up in this world. I believe Kevin called it selfishness, or it could have been me, but I am pretty sure we all agreed.
Personification: Love The idea of Jesus calling us to love everyone, even those that may hate us kept coming up at lunch yesterday. So, I will focus today on displaying the fruit of love that comes from the holy Spirit. As we all talked about yesterday, it may be difficult at times to love someone who hates us or just may appear to be incapable of loving us back, it doesn’t change that Jesus told us to love everyone, even the ones who won’t ever love us back, because the focus cannot be on us but rather on building up his kingdom.
Prayer: (Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi)
- Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
- Where there is injury, pardon.
- Where there is doubt, faith.
- Where there is despair, hope.
- Where there is darkness, light.
- Where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
- I ask this, as always, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy Spirit. Amen.
- The Wrath of God? the Mercy of God?. (greatriversofhope.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Christ: Born To Die. (greatriversofhope.wordpress.com)
- Jesus the Joy of Heaven (knowingthetime.wordpress.com)