Gift: Wisdom– With the gift of wisdom, we see God at work in our lives and in the world. For the wise person, the wonders of nature, historical events, and the ups and downs of our lives take on deeper meaning. The matters of judgment about the truth, and being able to see the image of God.
Reading: 2 So the Twelve called together the community of the disciples and said, “It is not right for us to neglect the word of God to serve at table. 3 Brothers, select from among you seven reputable men, filled with the Spirit and wisdom, whom we shall appoint to this task, whereas we shall devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” (Acts 6:2-4)
Observation: I met with a group of Christian friends who get together to talk about their scripture reading yesterday. They were reading in Matthew 23 yesterday, so we had a discussion about how Jesus said that we should not call anyone “Father”. Although, the initial comments were directed at the Catholic churches use of “Father”, as a designation for the priest, I am sure, the focus of the discussion was about how authority is difficult to justify in any church. We all came to the conclusion that the ultimate authority comes from God, but three of the four of us were willing to concede that authority is necessary for certain functions in the church. Even though, I am sure that we would not agree on the proper use of this authority in the Catholic Church. It is for this reason, I believe that the Apostles were appointing the seven disciples to make sure that disputes would not arise in the early church, at least as far as distribution of the bread is concerned.
Personification: Peace I hope that I can be an instrument of God’s peace today. It is for this reason that I was called to ministry. It is my hope that I can really display the peace that comes from the Word of God working in my life.
Prayer: (Prayer of Saint Francis)
- Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
- Where there is injury, pardon.
- Where there is doubt, faith.
- Where there is despair, hope.
- Where there is darkness, light.
- Where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
- I ask this, as always, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy Spirit. Amen.
- The Gospel Goes to the Gentiles (thingspaulandluke.wordpress.com)
- What gospel reference that tells how the Apostles were chosen (wiki.answers.com)
- Murmuring Among the First Disciples (thingspaulandluke.wordpress.com)