Gift: Wisdom– With the gift of wisdom, we see God at work in our lives and in the world. For the wise person, the wonders of nature, historical events, and the ups and downs of our lives take on deeper meaning. The matters of judgment about the truth, and being able to see the image of God.
Readings: 3 But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you were not faithful to me in showing forth my sanctity before the Israelites, you shall not lead this community into the land I will give them.” (Numbers 20:12)
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, 13 and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. 14 Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:18-19)
Observation: It struck me this morning to see the contrast in how God reacts to blind faith versus timid compliance. Since Moses and Aaron went before the Lord to see what could be done about the lack of water, and acted only after receiving direction from the Lord, He says that they will not lead the people into the promised land. In contrast, Peter speaks up to say that he knows that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God, and even though he doubts the path to salvation later, it was the first somewhat blind faith that leads God to place Peter as the head of His church.
Personification: Love It is only when I can display the fruit of love that comes from the grace of God that I can be sure that God is going to allow me to stay on the path that He laid out before me. I hope that I can always act out of love for my brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as the love I have for God, who decides whether my act of faith in him is worthy of continuing to lead his people.
Prayer: (Prayer of Saint Francis)
- Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
- Where there is injury, pardon.
- Where there is doubt, faith.
- Where there is despair, hope.
- Where there is darkness, light.
- Where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
- I ask this, as always, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit. Amen.